Thursday, July 4, 2013

Meditation: I Am Here in This Body

Puerto Rico. Photo by Konstantine Sofer (2011).
See more of Kosta's wonderful photographs on Picasa
During a recent meditation, I received the following set of instructions for observing one's body and increasing one's awareness of the body. Despite its simplicity, I found this sequence to be surprisingly effective in two ways: as a means of breaking the cycle of restless thoughts and as a way to gain insight into the relationship between the mind and body. This meditation may be useful to people who tend to dissociate from their physical bodies or live in their heads. The sequence below can be used as a basic sketch that can be expanded, elaborated on, and adapted to one's needs.  

"Sit or lie down still. Relax your arms and legs. Call on the forces of light. Surround yourself with a protective bubble. Speak each of the following sentences, slowly and deliberately, and hold them in your mind. Reflect upon their meaning and observe images, thoughts, and sensations that might appear in your mind in response to these statements."

I am here.
I am here in this body.
I exist in this body.
I inhabit all of my body.
I feel my body’s boundaries.
I feel my body’s dimensions.
I sense all of my body’s surface.
I feel my body’s weight.
I trust my body.
I give in to gravity.
I am aware of my body’s sensations.
I accept my body’s sensations.
I sense my body's wisdom.
I am familiar with my body.
I have compassion for my body. 
I feel friendly towards my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment