Sunday, December 13, 2015

City Scene: Sunderland Club, Buenos Aires



Having grown up in the Soviet Union, I thought I have seen it all in terms of unorthodox approaches to solving everyday problems. But a recent trip to Buenos Aires disabused me from my imperial arrogance. The two photos above were taken at the legendary Sunderland Club, a neighborhood sports center where serious tango is danced on a seriously challenging floor of a basketball court (how it is possible to play basketball on that floor is another question). On the night that we visited, some 600 people packed into the hall to watch the final of an inter-milonga championship. To display a PowerPoint slide with the names of the finalist couples, the projector was suspended - extension cords, power strip and all - from a basketball net more or less above our heads. When I saw this, my heart hiccuped with nostalgia and I realized that we've been outplayed. Bow to the masters of temporary solutions, children!

No comments:

Post a Comment